Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Vancouver, days 2 and 3

I'm feeling a little sick today so I didn't really go too far from my hotel room. I went to Chinatown again but that's about it. I've got a major headache from yesterday when I went to Grouse Mountain. I thought that was just from the high altitude (11 000 feet) but apparently not. I'm also super tired and have been going to the bathroom A LOT. I'm not sure what's causing/ caused it but I think it may have been the fruit that I bought at Lonsdale Market yesterday but I dunno, it could have been anything I ate yesterday for all I know.

So seeing as I'm not doing anything today I might as well tell you about what happened yesterday. Well, the plan was to go to Grouse Mountain which is one of the locations for the upcoming winter Olympics in 2010. It's also a popular spot during the non-winter months for biking and hiking and just hangin out. I pretty much had a headache the whole time probably because of the high altitude which didn't feel good, I was also moving kinda slow as you can probably imagine. Grouse Mountain was a pretty cool place. I got to see birds of prey and some black bears (there were also timberwolves but I didn't have time to go see them...) but I had SO many problems getting there.

Firstly, I woke up late that morning. That was mainly cos my alarm didn't go off. Anyway, after panicking and rushing to get out the door I kinda decided to walk to Stanley Park which is like, 18 blocks from my hotel. I thought I could get to Grouse Mountain from there but apparently not. Of course I didn't realise this until I got there..... So I kinda wasted a lot of time there. I also kinda got lost on the way which wasted a lot more time but I decided to catch the bus the rest of the way but the bus driver decided not to charge me cos it was pretty close which was nice.

After realising the error of my ways (i.e. I was in the completely wrong place and had spent ages trying to get there) I started to make my way down to the Seabus Terminal. By this time it was getting pretty hot and I'd been walking for ages to get to Stanley Park. I now had to turn back around and follow the waterfront to find the frickin' Seabus Terminal which took longer than expected. Seriously, if you think I'm just being a wuss then look at a map! I walked pretty much from one end of the CBD to the other and back again! I was actually walking so much that I felt like throwing up. I didn't though.

The trip on the Seabus/Ferry was kinda like the ferry you take from Auckland to Devonport. It didn't take that long and the view was pretty good. Before I knew it I was in North Vancouver and was like 'where... the hell... am I?' I honestly had no idea if I was actually in the right place...

Anyways, long story short, I looked around the market; caught a bus *gasp* -didn't pay *double gasp* hung around Grouse Mountain for a few hours then came back the exact same way.

Oh, and before you judge me even more I paid for the bus on the return trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment