Ok, so we made it to Anchorage. The flight was more like a bus ride than what you would usually expect. We made a few stops on the way where we let people off and other people got on. People going to Anchorage, like us (final destination?), had to just sit on the plane while we waited to take off. It was a little weird. Probably doesn't sound as weird as it actually was, based on this description though... It was weird ok?
Anchorage is well, a lot bigger than Juneau. With a population of around 277, 000 it has more than half of the entire population of the state of Alaska. Which, by the way is celebrating it's 50th year of statehood. Hooray.
Also, we've managed to hire a car which opens up a lot of options. So in the morning we're headed up to Fairbanks via Wasilla ("Hi Sarah Palin!") and Talkeetna. Once we reach Fairbanks, depending on the time, we'll head up to Chena Hot Springs where we may or may not be able to see the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis if you wanna get technical) (I always want to get technical) but lately it's been pretty quiet. They have like, this gauge where it guages the likelyhood of seeing the lights and right now, it's like, a 1 on a scale of 10 (10 being the highest/ greatest likelyhood of seeing it) so I'm not expecting much.
On the wildlife front, from what I can tell from talking to a few locals, there only seems to be Moose around this time of year but who knows? In any case, a Moose is still fine with me. Sometimes they just wander through town to go shopping for some supplies but as yet, I haven't seen any. It just seems like one of those stories where people say that these crazy things happen but they never do when you're around and then you end up questioning them and how crazy they are. Crazy.
Well, I guess that's it for now. Oh, also, our hostel doesn't have wireless so we've had to go to like, coffee shops and shit to use theirs. I dunno, I just assumed that every hostel has wifi. Apparently not. It's a bit annoying too cos the hostel is a good 6 or 7 blocks from the closest wifi place. I also feel kinda guilty for coming to these places and using their internet for ages. I mean, sure, we buy things and whatnot but I mean, it's like, "I'll trade you like, $3 for a coffee/ tea and use of your internet for 2 and a half hours. Deal? Deal."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment