Thursday, September 11, 2008

Everything is normal. Uh-oh.


Ok, so I'm just hangin in my room right now waiting for the dryer to finish drying my stuff. I'm also waiting for my class to start at 3 (I have 2 back to back 3 hour lectures on Thursdays which really takes a lot out of you. It's probably the worst time to have a class cos I'm always tired and can't seem to learn anything after 5pm).

Anyways, yes, everything seems to be normal to me now. This is my life. It seems all the grandeur of travel and the excitement about being in Toronto has kinda faded. It seems, unspectacular now. Don't get me wrong though, I'm still having an amazing time but I've past the point know where you're all like 'woah, I can't believe I'm in (wherever you are)!' Now I'm all like, 'yeah, I live here, I study here, I party here. This is my home, so what?' I'm not sure how I feel about it though.

I think its part of culture shock though. I didn't really feel a lot of it though because there are so many similarities between here and home but apparently it can manifest itself in a lot of different ways. Before V-fest last weekend I bought myself a New Zealand flag to wear as a cape throughout the festival and a lot of Kiwi's were coming up to me which was cool. I guess they're drawn to it. I suppose I would be too. I've kind of become a bit more patriotic in the past few weeks. Most times when I introduce myself I'll say 'Hi, I'm Simon, I'm from New Zealand' - it's become a habit now which I suppose is a way for me to distinguish myself from everyone else. I also have now put up my NZ flag on my window so that everyone can see it. I dunno, I just bring up New Zealand whenever I can. I'm not sure why. Possibly so I don't get lost in the melting pot that is Canada.

Anyways, at V-fest we met a girl from the North Shore who's doing an exchange from Auckland Uni to a University in Montreal which was pretty cool. We're planning a trip next weekend but we only have space for 14 people. This is mainly because we only have 2 drivers and the biggest vehicles we can get are probably 7 seaters which is fine but we have 17 people on the list to come.... I'm not sure what we're gonna do about that but I'm sure we'll figure something out.... We figured that this would be slightly cheaper than taking a bus or train over (plus its only like, a 5-6 hour drive apparently)also, it would mean that we could go pretty much anywhere on our own which will be awesome. Just need to finalise everything and then we'll be good to go.

That is all.

1 comment:

  1. If you had only known that once that flag is gone you'll have the perfect view on a fake owl! I'm posting this so you'll never forget your special bond with Odette an owl, that really knows how to stare you down!
    Of course, this post is also a reminder of your Austrian friend.. who experienced the owl experience from far away and found it quite entertaining to say the least. I'm proud of you poppety pop that you won the staring competition in the end (i suppose ignorance is a better way to put it.. as we know it is a a bliss most of the time ;)

    ReplyDelete