Five weeks from today I wont have a job. I handed in my letter of resignation but I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I've been there for about 4 years now and don't get me wrong, I'll miss all the people there but I've probably progressed as far as I can at this point in time. Plus hospitality isn't really my thing. I've always maintained that hospo was alright as a job/ to get money but I don't think I could ever make it a career. It's just the dealing with people all day everyday which I suppose you can't really get away from unless you're a hermit, but thats not really a job now is it?. I dunno, I guess its just that people can be so demanding sometimes, also you don't really get time to yourself. I guess you either love it or you don't, I'm somewhere in the middle.
But anyway, now that that is crossed off my to-do list I've been looking at the procedure s for getting a student/ temporary resident visa and it's kinda confusing. I've also been looking at flights but I'm don't know where exactly I'm gonna go but its looking like I'll be going from Auckland to Vancouver and then make my way along the border to Toronto by train.
Also on my places to go list is Alaska! Ever since I was reminded of it's existence a few days ago I've wanted to go pretty bad. It just looks amazing, largely untouched by man and oozing with native wildlife that most people can only see in a zoo or wildlife park. I dunno, everything is semi planned at the moment. My planning has been kinda half-assed which is something I guess I can't do with something like this.
But yeah, I dunno, it seems like in the coming month or so I'm gonna have to fork out a crap-load of cash for stuff: plane tickets, travel insurance, warm clothes (for my first white Christmas!), a backpack, fees for various stuff etc etc..... So the plan is to keep spending to a minimum i guess. Easier said than done.
*edit: If there's one thing that I've learned in my time doing hospo it's that you can't say 'no'. Ever. Except drunk people. You can always say no to them. Always. But anyway, I've figured out a couple of ways to get around doing things that you don't really wanna do for whatever reason. One of the phrases that I've found comes in handy is: 'I'll see what I can do". That way, if you actually can do what your customer wants/asks then you look awesome, if you can't/don't want to it looks like you've at least tried to do something. Either way you're good. I know this sounds kinda bad but there are just some things that people ask you to do that just make no sense/ you know you can't possibly do. So yeah, I just hope I'm not the only one who does this. The thought of other people doing this is the only way I can live with myself ahahahahaha
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Or 'I'm sorry, I'm don't actually have the authority to do that. I'll just find the manager...'.
ReplyDeleteThats a good one. i might try it sometime ahahaha :)
ReplyDelete